background

Friday, February 4, 2011

A Young Women After God's Own Heart: Prayer

I have been doing a devotion book for a little while called "A Young Women after God's Own heart" by Elizabeth George.


Today the chapter was called "A Heart Committed to Prayer".
Here are a few of my notes:
When you and I begin each day by giving all the cares of life to God in prayer, we can then rise up relieved, freed from many heavy weights. -Elizabeth George

After spending some time thanking God for His Son and for His salvation of my soul, I dared to turn my thoughts forward. I prayed, "Lord, what do you see missing from my Christian life?

I dedicate and purpose to spend the next ten years (Lord willing) developing a meaningful prayer life. -Elizabeth George

Prayer teaches us that God is always near-
What can you do when trouble strikes? I mean trouble like a tragedy, a catastrophe, a disaster? Well my friend, I had the opportunity to find out on January 17, 1994 at 4:31 in the morning, when a devastating 6.8 killer earthquake struck our home in California. I was home alone and can only remember trying to save my life by getting out of the house. And, as I cried out to God for reassurance of His presence. And it came from a passage out of the Bible (Psalm 46: 1-2) that I had planted there by memorizing it.

God is our refuge and strength an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear...
(And, by the way, the rest of this passage and the next verse just happens to go like this:
"...though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging"! Sounds like an earthquake to me!)
The more you and I pray, the more we are reminded of God's po
werful presence in time of need!
One man put it this way: "The purpose of prayer is to reveal the presence of God equally present all the time in every condition."

Prayer trains us not to panic-
Jesus said we shoudn't give up, give in, or panic. No, He said we should pray instead! (Luke 18:1) In other words we are not to give in, cave in, or collapse under pressur.
Instead we are to persevere. Turning to God for every need during your regular daily prayer time will ingrain in you the habit of prayer, which can then replace your natural tendency to panic at the first hint of any problem.

Prayer changes lives-
You've probably heard that "prayer changes things." But, once you develop a more regular prayer life you'll discover that "prayer changes you!


As a camel kneels before his master to have him
remove his burden, so kneel and let the master take your burdens.-Corrie ten Boom

But this you must remember,

This one thing you must know

I can not take you burden

until you let it go.-unknown author

I have really enjoyed this book so far and the Bible study group of young ladies. Last time, we got a signed copy of the smaller daily devotional bookfrom Elizabeth George and the leader had a pile of ladies hats that all us girls could pick out a hat or two. It was fun. Here are some photos of us in the hats!


No comments:

Post a Comment