background

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Becoming A Pearl

Mom gave me this article to read. She often does Bible Studies before me (to kind of check them out and she enjoys doing them too) or often she does them with me (sometimes including one or more of my siblings.)
She has been listening (audiobook) to Do Hard Things by Alex and Brett Harris. We started listening to the first CD yesterday. The Harris twins' Rebelution has a blog and website that also include many great articles. We read the modesty ones in our study with doing our lapbooks. It was good to see some of the things that might be stumbling blocks for boys. I just never thought of it that much before of the boy's perspective, etc.
Anyway, the article she gave me (and my siblings) to read is called Responding Correctly to Irritations by Grace Molly

She knows I can get frustrated sometimes being the oldest of five. I know I have things I need to work on in this area and I really liked this article a lot. These things will pop back into my mind and help me the next time I am irritated with anyone.

Here are the things that I really liked/learned from this article:
"God is the one who puts families together. He knows exactly what He is doing. The assortment of gifts and personalities He provides makes the family a very powerful team. However, these differences, which make life colorful and exciting, can also cause a lot of irritations. We need to learn how to handle irritations in a godly way instead of allowing them to cause damage." Our goal can not be for an irritation-free environment. We we'll always have irritations in our lives. "Instead, God wants us to learn how to handle these irritating situations correctly. In fact, this is one of the reasons God has put us in families. "

Our brothers and sisters and parents' personalities and characteristics may annoy us at times, but if we can’t learn to get along with them, we won’t succeed in our relationships with other people later on in life.
"The Lord usually isn’t interested in rescuing us from irritating situations. Rather He is interested in changing us! Just like beautiful pearls are formed when an irritant makes its way into an oyster’s shell, so when we respond properly to “irritants” in our own lives, we will be displaying the beauty of Christ in our lives. "

We need to realize these things:
*First of all, we need to realize that we don’t deserve anything! Everything we have is a gift. The Lord gives and takes away, and He commands us to be content in all circumstances.
*Secondly, we need to look past the irritation and ask God to reveal the bigger picture.
Training in this area may be tough; it requires endurance, humility, and lots of patience—but the fruit is eternal.


WOW! Wasn't that good?
If you want to read the whole article, click the link in the top paragraph.

No comments:

Post a Comment